Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Clearly, it doesn't matter. CLEARLY, IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Why is that always the cry, huh? Why should it matter before we partake? I can't for the life of me understand the logic of the "unless it amounts to something specifically geared toward my interests in the long run, I shant be a part of it!" mindset. When you break anything down in this world, can you honestly say any of this shit matters? And who decides what makes the grade and what doesn't exactly? You can't say it's each and every one of us that decides because it's fucking not. THIS matters to me. THIS can matter to others. Even if it didn't though, that's a shitty reason to avoid doing something. 

I try to think of a place, nay, an idea to live in. An idea that doesn't stifle creativity, but nurtures it. The idea? That nothing has to matter to exist. That this inconsequential thing can be given the opportunity to matter one day but need not worry about it now. That this meaningless thing can perhaps inspire a person, or several people, to do something that matters if it only had a chance to be. We are all a swarm of matter whose lineage can be traced back to Father Nothing. I feel like people like to forget that. I wish it weren't so. 

So I say to you my faceless, mouthless, duodenumless cult of whiskey slayers. Dare to do those things that don't matter. You might just find a universe of possibility in them. Now, a Dead Poets Society quote. Ahem:

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

1 comment:

dogimo said...

A thing should be done for no reason or not at all.

Post a Comment

Your comment is appreciated, however.